Rappelling is an act of descending down a mountain face by sliding down with the help of a rope which is fastened to a body harness and the rope is fastened to some overhead projection like a tree, a big stone etc. Rappelling is also known by different names like abseiling,roping,rapping,rap jumping,abbing,snapling, canyoning or canyoneering etc but in India Rappelling is the most famous term among trekkers and adventure enthusiasts.
The only difference between Rappelling and Waterfall Rappelling is that in second case you come down from the mountain along with the waterfall with water pouring on your face. Trust me it is a awesome feeling. It is one of the best event to overcome the fear of height and feels great when you touch the ground after climbing down along with the waterfall. But make sure that you do such activities under the supervision of experts only. Don’t try this by yourself. I was lucky to accomplish this act with the help of one of the well know trekking group of Mumbai known as Blue Whale Nature Association or BWNA. Every descend was performed under the eyes of the experts along with the proper safety gears. Rappelling down the waterfall is a lifetime experience. The sound of the cascading water along with the mist and spray that accompanies it makes the descend a thrilling experience.
Waterfall Rappelling is very prominent in the monsoon season in areas around Mumbai. It is one of the favorite activity of the trekkers in the monsoon season.People wait through out the year for this event.There are lots of places where you can carry out this activity. Some of the well known waterfalls near Mumbai are :
- Bhivpuri Waterfall : It is a distance of around 80 kms from Mumbai and lies in the Karjat region of Mumbai.
- Dudhiware Waterfall : It is a distance of around 110 kms from Mumbai with a height of around 135 ft.
- Vihigaon Waterfall : It is a distance of around 125 kms from Mumbai in Kasara region with a height of around 120 ft.
- Bhaje Waterfall : It is a distance of around 120 kms from Mumbai and lies in Lonavala with a height of around 75 ft.
- Dabhosa Waterfall : It is at a distance of around 125 kms from Mumbai with a height of around 300 ft.
- Dodhani Waterfall : It lies in the Panvel region of Mumbai.
- Kune Waterfall : It lies a distance of around 110 kms from Mumbai and lies between Lonavala and Khandala. It is divided between two sections. Each section is of around 100 ft.
- People enjoying waterfall near Bhaje caves in Lonavala
The place where i did Waterfall Rappeling was at Bhaje Caves in Lonavala, a place at a distance of around 120 kms from Mumbai.You can also see Visapur fort and Lohagad fort in the background. Not only this place is surrounded by beautifull waterfalls but it is also famous for the centuries old Bhaje Caves. Bhaje is the name of the village where these caves are situated. These caves comes under the Archaelogical Survey of India and are well preserved. These caves are very beautifull and a must see for everyone.
How to reach Bhaje Caves :
From Mumbai you can catch Indrayani Express or Intercity Express (although there are other trains also but these two are good). From these trains you have to get down at Lonavala station . From Lonavala you have to catch a local train and get down at Malavali station. From here it is just a walk of 20 minutes.
If you are coming from Pune, it is very near from Pune. You have to catch a Pune Lonavala local train and get down at Malavali station.
You can also go by your own vehicles. The place is easily accessible by the small vehicles like cars or 2 wheelers.